So tomorrow is my first day working with my students for the 2011-2012 school year. My fourth year of teaching already. Wow...I really am getting old.
So I spent a good chunk of my lesson planning time today coming up with a design for a t-shirt. After seeing a young boy wearing a t-shirt from his elementary classroom this summer while on my vacation in yellowstone, I have been trying to think of how I could incorporate a t-shirt into my classroom. And then it dawned on me. All kids would think that getting a t-shirt for a prize would be awesome, right? So I decided to change from giving students a sticker on their sticker chart for each day that they have a good day during group in my room to going by a point system. Each day students can earn up to 5 points (I already put calendars in their folders for them to keep track of their own points). I came up with 5 different things they have to do in order to get the points, for example, come in to class appropriately and ready to learn, be respectful, be an active participant...and so on. At the end of each month they will all add up their total number of points for the month. The top two in each group will get a prize from my prize box. And the top two point earning groups will earn a game day. Then....at the end of the year, the group with the highest number of points WINS THE ESL ALL*STAR t-shirt with their group names on the shirt! Now isn't that fun? I hope my kids will like the sounds of the new system when I explain it to them tomorrow....
No comments:
Post a Comment